by Edward Lewis
Posted May 22nd 2007,
Read 1314 times since then.
GERD and Diarrhea Digestive conditions afflict nearly 70 million Americans. With a few exceptions, the spate of digestive illness has a direct association with the lifestyle and diet decisions we make diurnally. According to recent research 60% of the immune system is situated in and around the digestive system. You may find it hard to believe, but the digestive…
Diarrhea Remedy- Goldenseal What is goldenseal?Why is goldenseal a good diarrhea remedy?How much goldenseal do you need to take as a diarrhea remedy? What Is Goldenseal? Goldenseal is a native North American plant. The dried root of goldenseal is used for medicinal purposes. The medicinal dried root of goldenseal contains unique beneficial substances such as:…
5 Ways to Fight IBS Diarrhea Constipation can be a difficult IBS symptom to deal with, but so can diarrhea. People who suffer from diarrhea-predominant IBS experience frequent bowel movements of watery and/or loose stool. Other diarrhea-related symptoms include abdominal pain or discomfort, cramping, bloating, gas, nausea and dehydration. The following are 5 treatment options…
Diarrhea Treatment - Psyllium In this article, ???Diarrhea Treatment: Psyllium??™, you will discover: What is psyllium?Why is psyllium a good diarrhea treatment?How much psyllium do you need to take as a diarrhea treatment? What Is Psyllium? Psyllium is native to Iran and India, India is the world leader in production and exporting psyllium. It is the psyllium seeds husks which…
Diarrhea Treatment - Chamomile What is chamomile?Why is chamomile a good diarrhea treatment?How much chamomile do you need to take as a diarrhea treatment? What Is Chamomile? Chamomile has been used for centuries in Europe for gastrointestinal conditions. Chamomile is an herb which is part of the daisy family. It is native to western Asia and Europe. It is the dried fresh…
- Diarrhea is the passing of watery or loose stools.
- It is the body's way of eliminating toxic wastes.
- Diarrhea is also an indication that the digestive system is unable to absorb nutrients, salt and water from food which are subsequently lost from the body through the watery bowels.
- Acute diarrhea accompanied by fever and blood or mucus in the stool may indicate bacterial or parasital infection.
- Most diarrhea lasts up to 3 or 4 days, even if left untreated. Consult a physician if diarrhea persists for more than 4 days.
- Diarrhea depletes the body of electrolytes, which are important minerals such as sodium, potassium, magnesium, chloride and calcium. A lack of these minerals can cause fatigue, tiredness and dehydration.
- Breast fed babies are less vulnerable to diarrhea.
- A body-detoxifying program can bring about a cleansing effect that could result in watery loose stools. This is the action of the removal of fecal matter from the intestinal walls and it should not last more than 2 days.
- Excess protein in an athlete can lead to dehydration, loss of appetite and diarrhea. Protein in excess requires more energy to digest and metabolize it.
Reference : "Protein Supplements and Body Building Programs" Cathy K, et al. Journal of the American Medical Association (1978) 240:481
- People with lactose intolerance (the inability to digest lactose) who have consumed dairy products will allow the lactose to ferment in the large intestine where it can cause bloating, flatus, diarrhea and pain.
- Consuming large quantities of artificial sweeteners such as hexitols, mannitol and sorbitol can cause diarrhea.
- Food poisoning leading up to diarrhea is caused by bacteria such as salmonella, E.coli and campylobacter.
- Diarrhea is often a symptom of many health conditions such as diverticulosis, irritable bowel syndrome, hyperthyroidism, celiac disease (gluten sensitivity,) vitamin overdose, caffeine overdose and alcohol overdose.
- Emotional stress and anxiety can have an unpleasant effect on the digestive system and can spark off diarrhea. Once the stress or anxiety is gone, diarrhea stops.
- Some women experience diarrhea immediately before or during menstruation.
- Antibiotics can upset the healthy balance between the good and bad bacteria in the intestine, resulting in diarrhea. Such antibiotics include doxycycline, digoxin, ampicillin, clindamycin, tetracycline and dirithromycin.
- Diarrhea can be a side-effect from drugs like immunosuppressants and those used for lowering cholesterol; for treating rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, cancer, osteoporosis, urinary tract infections, HIV and manic phase of bipolar disorder.
- Brainerd diarrhea is a condition characterized by 10 to 20 diarrheic episodes per day of explosive, watery non-bloody stools and often, fecal incontinence, lasting for 4 weeks or more. Other symptoms include gas, mild abdominal cramping and fatigue. It is named after a town called Brainerd in Minnesota, USA where the first outbreak took place in 1983. Neither bacterial, viral nor parasitic pathogens were found to be the cause of this strange disease. A chemical toxin was thought to be involved.
The relief plan
- DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS
Replace lost fluids by taking lots of water, juices, broth and decaffeinated teas. Avoid either very cold or very hot fluids.
- AVOID THESE FOODS
Avoid milk, dairy products, raw vegetables, acidic fruits, bran, whole-grain cereals, sugary foods, spices, fried food, fatty food, caffeine and alcohol. All of which are tough on the digestive system.
- ACTIVATED CHARCOAL
Works by absorbing and binding harmful or irritating substances found in the stomach and intestines, thereby preventing them from getting absorbed into the body system. Charcoal digested makes the stool black, naturally. Powder form is said to be better than tablets. Mix 2 to 3 tablespoons of charcoal powder with water and drink with a straw. Must not be taken at the same time with the syrup of ipecac, a common remedy for poisoning used to induce vomiting.
A natural tropical fruit found to contain over 150 nutraceuticals which include 20 amino acids, 9 of which are essential because they are not produced in the body, vitamin A, all the B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, beta carotene, ursolic acid, linoleic acid, proxeronine (bromelain), scopoletin, pectin, phytosterols, calcium, magnesium and zinc.
As an adaptogen, noni qualifies to be the Yin/Yang regulator, helping to enhance resistance to stress and disease, normalize metabolic functions and improve the body's ability to adapt to differing external or internal disturbances.
Noni has also been blessed with anthraquinone compounds such as alizarin, acubin and L-asperuloside that fight against bacterial strains like E.coli, salmonella, shigella, staphylococcus aureus and baciillis subtilis.
Author of 76 Ways to Use Noni Fruit Juice suggests the tummy treatment as an alternative to get noni's healing compounds into infants and children. This simple treatment uses a cotton ball soaked with warm noni to cover the bellybutton.
More about noni : http://www.tipsofallsorts.com/noni.html.
Reference : "Morinda citrifolia (Noni): A literature review and recent advances in Noni research" Wang Mian-Ying, et al. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica (Dec, 2002) 23(12):1127-1141
- CAROB POWDER
Take 1 tablespoon (mix with apple sauce and honey) on an empty stomach with acidophilus. Carob soothes irritated intestines.
Diarrhea caused by antibiotics can be handled by acidophilus (friendly intestinal bacteria) which will help restore a healthy flora in the digestive tract.
An alkaloid compound present in the roots and bark of many medicinal plants such as goldenseal root (Hydrastis canadensis), bayberry (Berberis vulgaris), goldthread (Coptis chinensis) and Oregon grape (Mahonia aquifolium). It is responsible for the yellow color in the roots. Bererine has anti-microbial action against bacteria (e.g. E. coli and cholera), protozoa (e.g. giardia, amoebas and chlamydia), yeasts, certain viruses and worms. It also has anti-inflammatory and astringent effects, especially on mucous membranes. Berberine may reduce healthy bacteria in the gut, which can be corrected with the supplementation of acidophilus once diarrhea has stopped.
- RASPBERRY LEAF (Rubus idaeus)
Used for diarrhea, motion sickness and menstrual cramps.
Recommended dosage : 2 capsules twice or 3 times daily with food; as a tea, up to six cups a day for acute problems.
- BLACKBERRY (Rubus macropetalus)
Blackberry juice is used to treat diarrhea, acid indigestion, colitis and gallstones. The tannin content in blackberry has an astringent effect, tightening the mucous membrane tissue along the intestinal tract which discourages the formation of watery stools. Drink 1 cup tea up to 6 times a day. Avoid blackberry remedies when suffering from Crohn's disease or any chronic gastrointestinal disorders.
A suspension formula made from an absorbent clay. It works by absorbing and binding to substances irritating or harmful to the gut. The concentrated tablets are free of additives.
Complete article link : http://www.tipsofallsorts.com/diarrhea.html
Copyright tipsofallsorts.com All Rights Reserved.
Diarrhea the Plethora of Causes Diarrhea is defined as a change in bowel movements characterized by an increase in frequency and fluidity of the stool which is not within normal limits for your particular bowel habits. Normal patterns of bowel habits differ from person to person and so it is important to know what is ???normal??? for you. This will allow you to note changes in the…
Diarrhea As Cause Of Hemorrhoids What is the connection between hemorrhoids and diarrhea? How can it cause hemorrhoids and what hemorrhoid treatment should you use here? What is diarrhea? Diarrhea is a watery stool occurring more than three times in a day, usually lasting a day or two. However, if prolonged it can be an indication of serious problems. It can be accompanied by…
Natural Home Remedies For Diarrhea Some common food substances have proven remarkably useful against diarrhea. Carob powder In a Canadian study of 230 infants with diarrhea only three were not cured by the addition of carob 'powder to their formula. The treatment apparently worked because carob contains high levels of fibre which, as recent research has shown, can clear up…
Need a Solution to Crohns Diarrhea Crohn??™s disease isn??™t fun to deal with and to make matters worse, it can be troubling both physically and psychologically to those who have it. Crohn??™s is a chronic IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) that attacks the intestinal immune system causing it to malfunction. The intestines malfunction due to an overload of white blood cells that build up…
Diarrhea The Loose and Watery Story Diarrhea is defined as frequent, loose, watery stools or an abnormal increase in the frequency and water content of the stool. All stools or bowel movements contain water. However, when the water content increases or becomes excessive and the frequency of the stools increase this is known as diarrhea. It is important to know what a normal bowel…
Apple - Useful In Combating Diarrhea Apple information and how it is used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments to treat ailments and problems such as stomach cramps, cancer and diabetes. Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds. Botanical Classification: Family Rosaceae Genus…
How To Stop Diarrhea With Probiotics What are probiotics?Why are probiotics good at stopping diarrhea?How many probiotics do you need to take to stop diarrhea? What Are Probiotics? Probiotics supplements contain ???friendly??™ bacteria such as bifidobacteria and lactobacilli. These bacteria are naturally found in the bowel and help to keep it healthy. Why Are Probiotics Good At Stopping…
Using Biotechnology to Fight Diarrhea A common mortal from a developed country would be hard to convince that in Southeast Asia and Africa, diarrhea is responsible for as much as 8.5% and 7.7%, respectively. Yet this is the stark reality. Diarrhea is mostly caused by gastrointestinal infections. About 2.2 million people globally die of gastrointestinal-induced diarrhea. The bulk of…
IBS Diets Although there is no complete cure for IBS, certain steps and precautions can definitely help in easing the pain and making life more bearable. Since it is a problem related to the stomach and intestines, diet is one of the most common aspects of treatment. To a large extent, most physicians, dieticians and researchers agree on the kind of diet…
Diarrhea Drugs For Cruise Line Sickness Perhaps you have heard in the past the issues with Diarrhea and other illness symptoms, which can be caught thru boarding a cruise line for a dream vacation? Many of the main cruise lines have taken on some water over this issue, that is to say some tough to over come negative PR over viruses running ramped on board during cruises when everyone…
Colon Cancer Treatment Surgical procedures Your surgeon removes the part of your colon that contains the cancer, along with a margin of normal tissue on either side of the cancer to help ensure that no cancer is left behind. Nearby lymph nodes are usually also removed and tested for cancer. Your surgeon is often able to reconnect the healthy portions of your colon or…
Constipation Bad Breath Bad breath is caused by anaerobic bacteria that live in the back of the tongue and other areas of the mouth not exposed to oxygen. Every person has over 170 different types of these anaerobic bacteria living in their mouths. Yet even so there are many people who go through life without bad breath even when they do little more than ordinary mouth…
Herbal and Ayurvedic Treatment for Diarrhea When there is a problem with the digestive system, then the stools may be voided in extremely watery form. This indicates the presence of water in the stools, which leads to dehydration. This condition is known as diarrhea. In Ayurveda, diarrhea is known as Atisara. Vitiation in any of the three doshas can cause atisara. However, the vitiation of…
Home Remedy For Diarrhea - Brewer??™s Yeast What is brewer??™s yeast?Why is brewer??™s yeast a good home remedy for diarrhea?How much brewer??™s yeast do you need to take as a home remedy for diarrhea? What Is Brewer??™s Yeast? Brewer's yeast is the dried crush cells of a type of fungus. It is bitter in taste and is the by-product of the beer-brewing industry. Brewers yeast is a rich source of:…
Colon Hydrotherapy Find Colon Hydrotherapy Schools and Practitioners. What is Colon Hydrotherapy? Colon Hydrotherapy is a gentle and safe infusion of water into the colon through the rectum. Because no chemicals or drugs are used, the colon hydrotherapy is soothing and successful. Throughout colon hydrotherapy, the client lies on a customized table in total…
The views of the authors are owned by them alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of www.irritable-bowel-syndrome-treatment.us. Articles here are provided for informational purposes only. They are not intended to diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease.
← Articles index | Save to del.icio.us | Add your article